Some information for teachers and festival organisers.
With me, your young people can
- go time travelling!
- investigate the history of science and find out that science has the best stories!
- write a joint story together on my special story board
- find out about the ‘monstrous’ Victorians with Mel Foster
- join King Arthur’s Round Table
- find out about life two hundred years ago with Cat Royal
- become a pirate!
So if you are a teacher, librarian or festival organizer and would like me to visit you, please use the contact form to drop me a line or visit the Author Aloud website. They are happy to help set up visits and make sure they run smoothly.
The Society of Authors has some good advice for schools here about what to do when inviting an author to your school.
Schools – what to do when you have an author visiting…
Just a little checklist for you when you’ve taken the plunge and decided to invite me to your school or festival. I don’t need much looking after but experience has taught that the best visits cover these points in advance.
The big things
- I love being with your children but please realize you are responsible for discipline and for legal reasons I must not be left on my own with them.
- Before you invite me in, please check you have appropriate staff covering my activities.
- Make sure reception knows to expect me.
- Please contact me for specifics about payment so that these can be agreed by both sides in advance.
Getting to you
- I usually travel by train. Where is your nearest station and can I get to you? I’m happy to walk a short distance but consider if you need to fetch me or book a taxi.
- If you book the train tickets that avoids me having to charge you VAT as part of the invoice.
- I travel from Oxford. A later start may avoid the need to add overnight accommodation in to the mix.
Getting the most from the visit
- Vast preparation is not required but if the children/young people have had a chance to read (or hear) a section of one of my books in advance that helps everyone.
- Tell me if you have a particular topic/set of books you want covered, otherwise I will come with my own ideas.
- Technical requirements – I sometimes use powerpoint and video. Let me know if you can’t provide a room for this and I will adapt what I do accordingly.
- Please send me a schedule in advance bearing in mind I will need the occasional break to catch my breath. Advance warning of age and class size is really important.
- Let me know if there are any special needs I should be aware of in the class before I start talking.
- Bookselling – I value the opportunity to sign copies of my books in person and some children love the chance to buy on the day. Please try and make this part of the day. You can often get a local bookseller to make the ordering arrangements for you.
- Let me know if you need any help setting this up and I can ask my publisher to suggest a local retailer.